If you're new to the smart world, light bulbs are always a good place to start. They're easy to set up, easy to control and give you a quick overview of what's possible - but what type of bulb should you choose?
The keen reader will have already discovered that there are two types of bulbs: WiFi and Bluetooth. Both are good choices, but it's important to know the difference. Bluetooth bulbs and Wi-Fi bulbs are two different types of smart lighting solutions. They use different wireless technologies to connect and control the lighting. Overall, the differences can be explained as follows:Bluetooth light bulbs:
- Bluetooth bulbs are bulbs that are designed to communicate directly with devices such as smartphones or tablets via Bluetooth connectivity.
- They usually do not require an external bridge or hub as they connect directly to the control device that has Bluetooth functionality.
- Bluetooth bulbs are suitable for smaller areas and rooms as the range is usually limited to around 30 meters.
- They are easy to set up and operate via apps on your mobile devices.
- Wi-Fi bulbs connect to your existing Wi-Fi network and allow you to control the lighting from almost any location with internet access.
- They often require a central hub or bridge to operate, which can be a separate device or an integrated part of the bulb.
- Wi-Fi bulbs have a greater range compared to Bluetooth bulbs as they rely on your Wi-Fi network.
- They allow you to create schedules, automate lighting and control it via apps on your mobile devices or voice assistants such as Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant.
So, in short, the difference is that Bluetooth bulbs connect directly to your device and have a limited range, while Wi-Fi bulbs are connected to your Wi-Fi network, have a greater range and more control options. Your Wi-Fi bulbs can be controlled from anywhere with an internet connection - so you can, for example, turn off your lights at home from work or have your bulbs turn on just before you walk in the door.
Upgrade your Smart Home with smart lights!
There are many reasons to upgrade your home - here's an overview of some of the things you can do with smart lighting:
- Remote control: One of the most obvious benefits of smart lighting is the ability to control it remotely. You can turn on, off, adjust the brightness and change the colors of your bulbs from your smartphone, tablet or a remote control, no matter where you are. This provides convenience and flexibility in lighting control.
- Energy saving: Many smart lighting solutions allow you to set schedules and automate lighting. This can help reduce energy consumption by turning off lights when they are not in use. You can also adjust the brightness as needed to save energy.
- Customization: Smart lighting allows you to customize the lighting to your preferences. You can change light colors, create different moods and even set the lighting to follow your daily routine. This is especially useful for creating the right atmosphere in your home.
- Integration with voice assistants: Many smart lighting products integrate with voice assistants such as Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple HomeKit. This makes it easy to control the lighting by simply using your voice command.
- Security: Smart lighting can increase the security of your home. You can set schedules that let the lights turn on and off even when you're not home, which can deter potential burglars.
- Updates and future-proofing: Many smart lighting products are regularly updated with new features and improvements via software updates. This means your investment will remain relevant and up-to-date for years to come.
- Monitoring and consumption data: Some smart lighting products give you access to monitoring energy consumption and lighting patterns. This can help you make informed decisions about energy efficiency and cost management.
- Creativity: Smart lighting opens up creative possibilities as you can experiment with different colors and light patterns to create unique lighting experiences.
In summary, smart lighting gives you more control, convenience and the ability to customize the lighting in your home. This technology can improve your quality of life, reduce energy consumption and increase safety.